I am a loyal reader of Ramsey’s blog, The Blog Tyrant, for the great blogging tips and inspiration he brings me. A couple of weeks ago I got his Ultimate Guide How to Start a Blog and Dominate Your Niche – a mind blowing 9K+ words of a blog post! I didn’t read all nine thousand words but the few sections I did read got me so inspired and motivated that I rolled up my sleeves and did a reality check right there and then. I immediately started working on my websites and here’s my report to you – changes are coming, prepare yourself!
Reality check – first order of business: shifting the focus of this blog
As you know, I am a marketing consultant (still for hire) but I have so much work to do, both clients’ projects and my own, that I rarely, if ever take up new clients who approach me through this site on daily basis.
I am also trying to move away from working on clients’ projects and into developing a few of my own ideas, incl. training courses for fellow freelancers.
Having said this, it was a natural decision to shift the focus of my site and blog away from marketing for clients and to freelance tips, working with freelancers, marketing for freelancers, time management, and alike.
I will keep all the existing posts, although shuffled in new categories where need be. But from now on, I’ll try not to post pure marketing tips or blogging wisdom bits, unless they somehow relate to the needs and pains of a freelancer 😉
Next on my reality check agenda is changing my website structure, posting schedule and email communication frequency
Shifting the focus of my website will require some changes in the website layout and structure as well. I have not decided yet what the new look will be but I know that I will need time to plan it and execute the changes properly. So to free some time to think this through, I am doing 2 things right away:
- I am changing my posting schedule – from now on, I’ll be posting once per week or less when time is not enough.
- I am changing my email communication frequency, too – no more weekly RSS based emails. I will be sending one or two newsletters every month, as time permits, with tips and new blog posts recap.
To bring my email communications inline with my blog’s new focus, I will be working on a new ebook to give away to new subscribers. It will be focused on freelance. I am on the fence about a few topics so if you want to see an ebook about something specifically, now is the best time to tell me – your feedback might help me choose 😀
And finally, starting to treat myself as a good client for once!
I always treat my clients with utmost respect but I never do the same for me. My projects always take a backseat when a “more important” work comes up (where ‘more important’ simply means it comes from a client who pays to get the job done).
No more! Starting this week, I am treating myself with the utmost respect I deserve as every other client I have ever had 😉
To keep you in the loop, here are the few items I will be working on during the next few months:
- Finalizing my first book about freelance and releasing it to the general public
- Starting an email training course for freelancers who make their first steps in the freelance world
- Launching a coaching program with regular group sessions and/or individual sessions on request
- Getting back on track with my other websites – my Bulgarian blog about freelance and my reviews based website and blog
- And finally, getting busy with my startup, the Meliway Travel Movie Maker, and everything else around it, including a new idea how to make it even better for everyone to use plus a travel blog.
Oh, and let’s not forget that there are still 84% of the world where I have not been yet – or so does my TripAdvisor map says 😉 So I shall continue travelling!